X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikef723
    • Nov 2009

Feel something in my scrotum after orchiectomy

Hi All. This is my first post. I first want to say best of luck to everyone out there who is battling or has battled TC.

It has been a week since my orchiectomy (left only) and this morning I happened to feel something else inside my scrotum in and around the area where my left testicle used to be. It feels like a gland or something. Has anyone experienced this after orchiectomy? Is it possible for the prostate or some other part of that area to move into the scrotum? I certainly plan to call my urologist first thing Monday morning, but wanted to check here first before I freak myself out for the rest of the weekend. Any info that anyone can provide is appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike
    11/20/09 - Left I/O
    11/27/09 - Results: 2.3cm seminoma tumor
    12/3/09 - CT Scan
    12/7/09 - Results: All Clear!
    8/2010 - Follow Up: All Clear!
    3/2011 - Follow Up: All Clear!
  • Scott
    Administrator
    • Jul 2003

Hi, Mike. What you're feeling is most likely a hematoma, blood collecting where the spermatic cord was cut. It's very common and will go away over the next several weeks.
    Scott
    right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• mikef723
      • Nov 2009

Hi Scott. Thank you for the quick reply! This feels large, possibly twice the size of my testicle. Could a hematoma be that big?!?!
      11/20/09 - Left I/O
      12/3/09 - CT Scan

Comment

• Scott
        Administrator
        • Jul 2003

There's an example in this thread of an even larger hematoma. It's worth asking your urologist in case it's something else.
        Scott
        right inguinal orchiectomy 6/5/2003 > nonseminoma, stage I > surveillance > L-RPLND 6/24/2005 for recurrence, suspected teratoma but found seminoma, stage II > chylous ascites until 9/2005 > surveillance and "all clear" since

Your donation funds Livestrong services for people facing cancer now. Please sponsor my ride!

Comment

• mikef723
          • Nov 2009

Wow, didn't realize there could be that much bleeding! I'll certainly give my urologist a call Monday morning but this at least puts my mind at ease. Very glad I found this site. Thanks so much for the info and hopefully I can pay it forward.
          11/20/09 - Left I/O
          12/3/09 - CT Scan

Comment

• Scott
            Administrator
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mikef723 View Post
            ...and hopefully I can pay it forward.
            I'm confident you will. Keep us posted with your results and plans from here. I hope your recovery is going well so far.
            Scott

Comment

• UT-TC
              • Nov 2009

Mike: I had the same thing a month ago. Even today, my "removed" side is larger than my "what's left" side. I even requested and had an ultrasound about two weeks after my surgery because I couldn't believe there could be that much left inside there that was "not a problem." It was "normal." A hemotoma, as has been mentioned.
              10-23-09 Left R/O
              10-27-09--100% Pure Seminoma PT1, extension into tunica vaginalis
              10-30-09--X Ray normal, Pre-surgery tumor markers normal
              11-2-09--CT shows two enlarged nodes, 1.9 to 4.3 cm
              11-2-09--CT shows periaortic Retroprtitoneal mass (3 X 4 X 7cm)
              So, I have Stage II C Seminoma
              11-16-09--Begin 4X EP
              1-22-10 Finish last round of 4X EP
              4-2-2010 CT scan shows MOSTLY CLEAR!!!
              One tiny mass is likely scar tissue=1.1 cm.
              My Treatment Journal/Blog: http://uttc.wordpress.com/

Comment

• NYC Russ
                • Mar 2008

I'd bet on hematoma too. What's more odd, is that it seems the majority of urologists fail to mention this "little" detail to their patients before, or after, the surgery (mine didn't either). Would help keep the freaking out to a minimum

Give it a week or three and it'll go away on its own.
                Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

• mikef723
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by NYC Russ View Post
                  ...it seems the majority of urologists fail to mention this "little" detail to their patients before, or after, the surgery (mine didn't either). Would help keep the freaking out to a minimum
                  Indeed! As you can read, the first thoughts running through my head were what the heck body part fell out and ended up in my scrotum!

I appreciate all the feedback. Going to call my urologist just to be safe but i'm sure now its a hematoma. It emanates directly from the lower part of my incision and most of the incision area has a similar hard feeling.
                  11/20/09 - Left I/O
                  12/3/09 - CT Scan

Comment

• Paul54
                    • Oct 2007

Mike,
                    Been there, done that, had no idea what it was when I found it. Immediate thoughts ran from another tumor to a miracle of testicle regrowth. Wiseass physicians assistant said he thought someone implanted a large diamond wrapped in a soft pouch. Ha-Ha. Mine took several months to shrink to the point where I had a tough time finding it.
                    "Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off" - Paul Brodeur
                    Diagnosis: 05Sept07 Right I/O: 13Sept07; Pure Seminoma; Surveillance only per NCCN: All Clear August2013 (CT scan, Markers)

Comment

• mikef723
                      • Nov 2009

I spoke to my urologist on the phone yesterday and he said that it was definitely a hematoma. As was said before, if they can be so sure about it without even having to examine it, why not just let us know before hand?
                      11/20/09 - Left I/O
                      12/3/09 - CT Scan

Comment

• gilly6993
                        • Nov 2009

I had my IO a week ago and I still have a baseball down there and still in bed so it sounds as though ur doing pretty good....
                        19 Nov 09 Dx Metastaic Seminoma
                        25 Nov 09 Right I/O....Primary tumor burned out
                        Stage IIB
                        4 JAN 10 - 2 MAR 10 3XBEP
                        7 APR 10 All Clear....Surveillance

Comment

• NYC Russ
                          • Mar 2008

I actually thought my uro gave me a giant implant even though I said I didn't want one. I'm not sure who was more relieved when he told me it was a hematoma - me, for knowing I'd fit in my underwear again one day, or my doc, for knowing that now I wasn't going to sue him
                          Let's Go Mets! sigh...

Comment

• gilly6993
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by NYC Russ View Post
                            I actually thought my uro gave me a giant implant even though I said I didn't want one. I'm not sure who was more relieved when he told me it was a hematoma - me, for knowing I'd fit in my underwear again one day, or my doc, for knowing that now I wasn't going to sue him
                            lol....my doc told me nothing of what to expect....luckily I read up on it here and knew it was normal....Even so it's still baffles me how my body can return to normal given the state it is in now...
                            19 Nov 09 Dx Metastaic Seminoma
                            25 Nov 09 Right I/O....Primary tumor burned out
                            Stage IIB
                            4 JAN 10 - 2 MAR 10 3XBEP
                            7 APR 10 All Clear....Surveillance

Comment

• mikef723
                              • Nov 2009

Hi Gilly I read your posts in the other thread regarding your treatment. Sounds like you're a little less than a week behind me. I had my I/O two weeks ago tomorrow. A week after surgery I got my staples out and ever since then I have begun to feel significantly better. The hematoma I spoke of here has shrunk noticeably, the swelling is down, and I am getting around quite close to normal. I can definitely appreciate your concerns of the body returning to normal as I had the same thoughts in the days right after surgery. I'm finally starting to feel good enough to realize I'll be good as new very soon. Give it a few days and you'll be there too.
                              11/20/09 - Left I/O
                              12/3/09 - CT Scan

Comment

Working...
                              X