Hi a mom,
We had a similar experience last week when our Hospital moved into their new Children's Center and the place was virtually shut down for a few days. This meant Austin's treatment schedule had to adjusted slightly and our Oncologist said it would pose no problem. He began his first cycle on a Saturday ( had to do it as an in patient ) and ended on Wednesday. We waited until the following Monday for his first Bleo push.
Now as for skipping two days during your long week....boy, I would push for them to accomodate you on Saturday, simply because personally, I'd want to just get it over with and start recuperating! Some others on this forum who are more medically knowledgeable may be able to answer as to whether there is any risk involved by doing so. We are getting treatment at Johns Hopkins in the outpatient center and they are closed on week-ends, but the in patient department, directly across the hall, of course is equipped to do the chemo. I think it all comes down to a matter of insurance and the cost and availability of providing a room and bed etc. The clinic told us not to worry about it, that this kind of thing happens all the time and that the Insurance companies never turn down requests for in-patient care when it involves chemo patients. I'm sure your Oncologist will make sure your son 's treatment is not compromised.... but sometimes they are caught up with a gazillion other patients and problems and things can get overlooked......so, yeah....sometimes Mama Bear has to be a little assertive! ( Is that enough ammunition for you.....I can give you more if you need it!)
Cook/Maid/Chauffeur/ATM Machine/Personal Asst. to Austin
12/07/11 I/O AFP: 291 hCG: 151
12/08/11 CT Scan, Xrays - clear
12/15/11 Non Seminoma Stage1-B
EC, Teratoma, Yolk Sac, Intratubular
4/21/12 Relapse- Start 3XBEP
6/25/12 Finished BEP
7/02/12 Markers and CT Scan normal
7/11/12 Port Removed- back on Surveillance
10/3/12 3 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!
2/28/13 8 month post-chemo check-up - All Clear!