first, no matter what you choose, your cure rate chances are very similar...and very high - this should give you some relief..
I was a stage 1 also, see my signature - chose surveillance...had a recurrence and the 3xbep...
maybe I should have gone rplnd, or 2xbep....but, in my mind, as fed wrote...I was playing the odds...the 70% chance I was cured with surgery alone...and the embryonal component - which can sometimes jump to the lungs...made me think that if I have anything, I'll probably do the chemo.
But, some would go crazy with the waiting/surveillance...but here is a little secret...if you have rplnd, or 2xBEP....you will be placed...drum roll....yes, on surveillance...but chances are now in the much higher probablity range that you are all done....versus 70% with the surgery alone...
I suppose the point is, ultimately, it almost becomes a matter of preference at the great, early stage that you are at....one choice is not necessarily better than another, in trems of OVERALL cure rate....now you are just deciding what will be easiest for you to deal with.
You may want to consult with an oncologist (I read this quickly and I only noted urologists opinions).
If there is only one thing I can stress, it's that you always stay on top of your surveillance....even if you get an rplnd or 2xbep.
all the best.
- lump first noticed 11/20/2005
- I/O right Dec 8, 2005
- 95% embryonal / 5% seminoma
- normal markers PRE surgery
- no vascular invasion, tunica free of cancer, epididymis free of cancer, lungs free, lymph free
- Stage I diagnosis
- mid feb '06, beta hcg slightly elevated = 4.6...small enlarged lower node seen on CT scan...
- 3BEP began feb 20, 2006
- finished 3 BEP, last bleo, april 17, 2006
- CT scan, blood markers, chest..all clear
- back on surveillance