X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinnitus and BEP

Does anyone have any experience with tinnitis during/after BEP treatment? My husband is going into 1x BEP for his stage 1b non-seminoma with lvi on Monday, and has serious anxiety about the possibility of tinnitus (he's a musician and a huge music lover, so acoustic experience is a major part of his life!). Thank you for your thoughts!

I didn't experience tinnitus until after my second round of BEP. But everyone is different, and some symptoms can improve after treatment is over. Just know it is a potential side effect, that doesn't mean he will be effected by it.

Comment

Thank you for your response! I'm sorry to hear that you were impacted by this symptom and am wishing you the best of luck with your TC journey. Do you mind if I ask if your symptoms were permanent or temporary?

Comment

I am still not done yet with treatment. I am just finishing my last cycle. But I haven't noticed any major changes to my hearing yet.

Comment

Best of luck with the rest of your treatment, and thank you very much for sharing your tinnitus experience with me.

Comment

Hello ,

My partner had 1 round of BEP as a precaution and he had no tinnitus. He is now 3.5 years all clear. And we just welcomed our 2nd baby boy 8 weeks ago and was able to concieve him naturally even after 1x BEP.

Best of luck with it all and know its 1 step closer to this being behind you .

Comment

3xBEP here and no tinnitus.
              We are all just different.
              1xBEP should be a breeze

Best of luck to your husband.
              10/18/18 - US by urologist hits me in 3 seconds: you have a tumor!
              CT scan: all clear except uncertain 6mm lung nodule pre-op: AFP 614, bHGC: 1941, LDH: 203 10/30/18 right I/O; pathology: yolk-sac with pT3 11/26/18 post-op: AFP 29.9, bHCG 2.5, LDH: 159 I ask for IHC: 50% yolk, 45% EC, 5% chorio oncologist decides 3xBEP 12/18/18: after 1xBEP, AFP: 3.42 01/26/19: end 3xBEP with delays in bleomycin; severe neutropenia 03/01/19: first CT after chemo, all clear except a new 12 mm new nodule; the 6mm nodule unchanged 06/08/19: chest CT only - good news, the earlier nodule shrank to 5mm 04/13/20: AFP 3.57, bHCG <0.2, LDH: 160 04/14/20: CT scan: the 5 and 6 mm nodules remain unchanged 05/08/21: CT scan, all good; nodules stay the same

Comment

I had tinnitus during my 3xBEP. Prior to chemo i've always have had sone tinnitus, though never anything that I could complain about. During chemo the tinnitus got much worse. It peaked at the end of the 3rd cycle. After chemo stopped, the tinnitus declined steadily. A few months after chemo, my tinnitus was back to my previous baseline. Now, 6+ years later it's still at my pre-chemo baseline.

- Matt
                March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
                March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
                6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
                LDH never fully normalized
                Stage: IS
                Watchful Waiting
                May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
                May 12th: started 3xBEP
                Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
                July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
                August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
                September 4th: Port removed
                January 2020: 5.5 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Thank you all for your generous responses. They have helped to calm part of our worried minds, as we prepare to face the next steps. We are full of gratitude, and truly wish you all the best of luck!

Comment

Terrajw,
                    If you hear of anything that helps lessen the tinnitus, let us know. I haven't researched it much, but sometimes there are things to do and take that lessen some side effects of chemo.
                    I hope things go well for your husband and he is cancer free with zero long term side effects.

Comment

Tinnitus should be the least of your worries with 1 bep.. i had tinnitus at around 3rd bep... And it went away with time... Hope you get well soon..
                      painless lump rightside over 5 month
                      tumor markers- afp-14.9 hcg-773
                      06/2018- right i/o

path- teratoma/yolk sac/chorio

afp down at 2.3 hcg-3303

ct- no lymph involvement, lung mets (stage IIIA)

07/2018- start of 3xBEP +1EP

changed to 3xBEP

complete response

07/2019- 9 months all clear(bhcg<0.1 or undetectable from 5 months)

10/2019 - ct picked up small nodule on other lung (3mm) blood work normal
                      (one year mark after chemo)

11/2019- afp-0.7 bhcg-2.9

Comment

Working...
                      X