Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Periodic pain in remaining testicle, with no issues on ultrasound?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Periodic pain in remaining testicle, with no issues on ultrasound?

Am six years out from stage 1 seminoma. Fully encapsulated, surveillance only, no issues seen on followup. Have also had ultrasounds, no issues present other than some small micro calcifications (iirc), and a harmless epidymial cyst.

Every now and again, my testicle will get sore. Especially if sitting or lying down. I find cold improves the symptoms, as does removing boxers/clothing if sleeping. I've noticed it *may* be associated with eating worse food, in that it seems to happen more often after eating at a restaurant. There have been some occasions where it lasted for a few weeks, but recently it tends to be a few days, and then everything is fine afterwards.

Possibly also related to sexual activity, though less sure about though. Oh, and my sperm count is abysmal, practical no sperm, not very motile.

Have asked my urologist about this. He said it can happen after surgery, and didn't have much else to say. Has anyone else had pain like this in the remaining testicle, and were you able to do anything about it?

The only other thing I've noticed is that the area including the cords may be more inflamed when the symptoms occur.

• Mike
    replied
    So sorry to her that the second testicle has been affected and sending you all my best. Glad that you are able to get in to bank sperm. With some testosterone supplementation you'll still do incredible, for sure!!!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• canadian
    replied
    As a followup to anyone reading this thread, a subsequent ultrasound revealed some very small masses which have grown in the remaining testicle. Largest .5 cm. Will be making a post about this in the main thread but wanted to update here. My recommendation for anyone in my situation is periodic ultrasounds, these appear to have caught it quite early. I also had many of the risk factors for contralateral: microlithiasis, extremely low sperm count, etc.

Surgery scheduled fairly shortly, am attempting sperm banking. (Would also recommend this for anyone, including before their first surgery. It turns out that my first testicle removed had fairly normal sperm production, but no one had mentioned banking, so I have to make do with very small amounts to bank now.) Fingers crossed for surgery results but as this was caught seemingly early I'm hoping for another stage 1 with surveillance only.

Still have intermittent pain in the testicle, probably unrelated, but it helped drive me to get an ultrasound recently so maybe I should be thankful for it.

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    I don't think it rule out a UTI, I think epidimytis might show up.

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Epidimytis

Leave a comment:

• lautreamont
    replied
    One more question: does to a clear US rule out infections? (UTI, Epidimytis etc)

Leave a comment:

• lautreamont
    replied
    Thanks everyone. I have been trying a few things but still no clear idea. Some random thoughts here
    - Seems to be worse in the morning when I side-sleep. If I force myself to sleep on my back, feels better (not 100% though)
    - I did gain some weight from bad food lately. I m off to Japan for a week. Let's see what seaweed and fish does to that!
    - I carry my toddler a lot on my shoulders. (back from school). I wonder if the 36lbs could do something to my muscles.
    - I have not switched yet to more supporting underwears (boxer guy). Probably would help avoiding movements..
    - Cannot tell you about fertility. We have a 3 y/o that keeps us busy and not planning for more, so not much data.
    - As for the pain is not TC I agree but in my case, it all started with a pain localized in my left testis and the US found the TC completely inside of it. So I wonder if when it reached a certain size it started pushing on a nerve .. Hard not to remember this was my first symptom...

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Yes there seems to be some weird forum problems today, I'll let Mike know.

Leave a comment:

• Harxxony
    replied
    What do you mean by fertility? :I In general, pain in my remaining testicle is not so big in a way I need medical help, it's more psychological issue. When I had TC last year, I had pain for few weeks, went to urologist, he made some brief tests and concluded that pain is prostate related. He even did not want to do US, and it was private practicioner outside public health system, so I begged him to do the US, and story from there is well known here...

Is anyone alse have problems with forum, I don't see latest posts.

Leave a comment:

• canadian
    replied
    lautreamont, harxxony: how is your fertility, by chance? I'm wondering if it is related. But I think it may have to do with diet, as it seems to have happened on days when I ate worse. And now, if memory serves, it might actually have some links to muscle tension: four years ago was the last time this was bad, and I seem to recall that a massage around the abdomen helped.

Thanks Davepet! You're right, I should ask my doctor next time I'm in. This had been fairly annoying 4-5 years ago, but then largely went away so I forgot about it. It still occurred *occasionally*, but wasn't bad enough to fret about.

Oh, and I've had multiple ultrasounds, never shown anything. Davepet is right, pain generally isn't a TC indicator.

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Pain is not normal with TC, almost to the point where pain rules TC out. Folks who report pain with TC mostly have an unrelated condition that fortunatly caused pain & discovery of their TC.Your doc should be working to discover the cause of your pain. If he/she is not it is time to change docs.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Davepet
    replied
    Pain is not normal with TC, almost to the point where pain rules TC out. Folks who report pain with TC mostly have an unrelated condition that fortunatly caused pain & discovery of their TC.Your doc should be working to discover the cause of your pain. If he/she is not it is time to change docs.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• lautreamont
    replied
    Originally posted by Harxxony View Post
    You see! Now you can relax about the pain, but periodic US of remaining guy is obligate. Luckily my US doc told me everything immediately, so now I just have to wait for a results that are traveling by snail-mail, 13 days so far.
    Must say. Contacted Stanford Monday Morning, got US Monday 2pm and results Monday 5pm. That's as quick as it gets.
    Now gotta figure how to manage the soreness / pain.

Anyone else experiencing the same? Some good ideas shared already but if anyone else has other suggestions..

Leave a comment:

• Harxxony
    replied
    You see! Now you can relax about the pain, but periodic US of remaining guy is obligate. Luckily my US doc told me everything immediately, so now I just have to wait for a results that are traveling by snail-mail, 13 days so far.

Leave a comment:

• lautreamont
    replied
    Got the results (no mass!). Based on what i read I am going to try to cut junk food (for me bread and croissants, Im French), lose the extra weight I gained and wear some more supportive underwear. Will see. Still hurts now and hurt when the technician was applying the US...

1. Normal right testicle. No mass.
    2. Redemonstration of a few epididymal head cysts, as before

Leave a comment:

Working...
X