X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 time TC cancer. Tiny pulmonary nodules

I was diagnosed with TC when I was 25 9 years had it removed and went on only surveillance was no issue beside AFP riding at 10-13. Then I was diagnosed with TC 2 years ago and same thing just surveillance. My scan since the 2nd time are showing tiny pulmonary nodules my Doctor insist concerned since they are the same size but I cant help but be nervous. My AFP has been at 13 for years Doctor as said not to be concerned. Has anyone here experienced anything similar?

Whiskey,

I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

I had Seminoma 7 years ago and for the past 2 and half years my AFP has been hanging around just above of the normal range... mine stays around 8 or 9.

I reached out to Dr. Einhorn about this and he told me it's of no concern until it gets above 25 and continues to rise from there.

As for the Lung nodules: That's a fairly common finding for a lot of us who have had TC. If they are real small; a couple mm or so, then it's also most likely nothing to worry about.

- Matt
    March 4th 2014: [AFP = 2.5; bHCG = 6; LDH = 618]
    March 13th: Left IO 100% Classic Seminoma
    6.3 x 5.1 x 3.8 cm, no invasion of anything
    LDH never fully normalized
    Stage: IS
    Watchful Waiting
    May 1st: promoted to Stage IIB with two PET active tumors in the para-aortic lymph nodes 2.5 & 2.4 cm
    May 12th: started 3xBEP
    Neupogen during Cycle 2 and 3
    July 8th: Last Bleo shot of Cycle 3 -- chemo completed !
    August 4th: Post Chemo CT/PET scan
    September 4th: Port removed
    July 2021: 7 YEARS ALL CLEAR !

Comment

Whiskeycooker, despite having a normal AFP, the nodules should be monitored. Some types of TC may not elevate any tumor marker. Have in mind that it takes time for the nodules to shrink, and they might be just fibrosis or something other than cancer, so I don't think you should be too worried. I suppose you'll have more clarity when you do another scan after some time, and see if the nodules are shrinking, growing or staying the same.

Has your AFP been elevated when you were diagnosed? Have you measured HCG? What is the histology?
      Pure choriocarcinoma stage 3c - testis primary, mets to lungs, 4 lymph nodes >2 cm
      Left I/O 08/18
      BEPx4 10/18
      round 1 hcg - 225 000, down to 642 then rising
      round 2 hcg - 830, down to 40 then rising
      round 3 hcg - 72, down to 15 then rising
      round 4 hcg - 542, down to 7
      HDC regimen SWENOTECA IV 03/19
      round 1 hcg ~1500, down to 1.14 then rising
      round 2 hcg ~100, down to <0.1
      All clear 06/19. Remission.

Comment

Lung nodules are very common even in folks who have never had cancer, They are rarely anything to worry about.Also, TC tends to spread to abdominal lymph nodes before the lungs. Certainly keep an eye on them, but I expect they will stay the same or even go away with time.
        Last edited by Davepet; 02-06-21, 03:06 PM.
        Jan, 1975: Right I/O, followed by RPLND
        Dec, 2009: Left I/O, followed by 3xBEP

Comment

As mentioned, lung nodules, especially when smaller in size can be very difficult to interpret and often are of benign causes. This is especially true if you grew up in areas with high levels of histoplasmosis, for example, like the Ohio River valley. My father's doctor in Florida didn't have things like this on their mind when working him up for a lung nodule because the histoplasmosis isn't as common in the Florida area. I think the fact that they haven't changed over time would provide me with comfort as well.

Mike
          Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
          06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
          06.26.06 Left I/O
          06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
          06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
          Surveillance...
          Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
          6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

In just a few weeks it will be 10 years since I was diagnosed with TC. My AFP was as low as 10 and as high as 95. But usually somewhere between 20 and 30. Have been in remission for 7 years. Hope this (delayed) info helps.

Comment

This is awesome to hear and congratulations!!!

Originally posted by BJ7999 View Post
              In just a few weeks it will be 10 years since I was diagnosed with TC. My AFP was as low as 10 and as high as 95. But usually somewhere between 20 and 30. Have been in remission for 7 years. Hope this (delayed) info helps.
              Oct. 2005 felt lump but waited over 7 months.
              06.15.06 "You have Cancer"
              06.26.06 Left I/O
              06.29.06 Personal Cancer Diagnosis Date: Got my own pathology report from medical records.
              06.30.06 It's Official - Stage I Seminoma
              Surveillance...
              Founded the Testicular Cancer Society
              6.29.13 Summited Mt. Kilimanjaro for 7th Cancerversary

For some reason I do not get notices of private messages on here so please feel free to email me directly at mike@tc-cancer.com if you would like to chat privately so as to avoid any delays.

Comment

Working...
              X